Sunday, 27 July 2014

I know I know I should be finishing my wip's or UFO's but decided I really needed to start a new project.  A log cabin quilt , browns with pink centers….simple block but the setting will make the quilt wonderful, I think !  and well the pink centers a bit of a surprise (not red!)

Had to work out the center block size and the  log size , first one I made I couldn't figure out why it was not a square….
check out the picture  can you see why?
took me about a 1/2 hr to figure out what went wrong!  the last round of light was not trimmed to the size I wanted , crisis adverted and started making blocks….

Here is a bom I just signed up for I really just wanted to buy the pattern.  I am not a fan of bom's  I tend to get bored waiting  or loose interest.  But this was the only way I could get the pattern now and I have loved this quilt since the first time I saw pictures of it in Mary Kovals antique quilt booth at a few quilt shows over the years.  I love red and green appliqué quilts and I love when there are birds on the quilts.
I really just could not resist it any longer...
I will be starting this quilt soon I wanted to get a bolt of the background fabric so I can prewash it, I will tell you mine will be a bit different then the original.
Isn't it just a great quilt?  fun in my opinion too…
The Quilted Crow girls Leonie Bateman and Deirdre Bond-Abel,bought the antique quilt and made a pattern from it thankfully  now I can make it too!
another quilt I want to whip up in August is this Schnibbles , Hot Cross by Miss Rosie 's quilt company.  easy just went on line and bought a pdf file and instantly I had a copy of the pattern!  Isn't technology wonderful?  I love when it works this easily.

I have made this pattern before in just 2 fabrics and loved it but gave it away to a friend and the pattern must still be packed away. don't you just love this fabric combo, red and white ? I doubt I will ever tire of it These two are  from the Midwinter Reds collection by Simpson and Minick from Moda Fabrics.  Oh how I love this red.  Found it on sale at Daisy Cottage online quilt shop.

Now I just need a few hours a day to sew, sew, sew!  Hope you find time to sew this week too.

hopefully next post there will be real progress shown on 2 out of the 3 above projects!


28 comments:

  1. I am making the Cousins Walk too,Kathie, and I love it - same as you, I couldn't resist the red and green with the birds. I was a little apprehensive about the fabrics that I would receive - but I have to say I love what was chosen ! I am getting mine from Common Threads. The BOM is beautiful and well organized, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your log cabin. On my bucket list of projects. I look forward to enjoying yours as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some new and exciting projects! I've never made a log cabin quilt and I don't know if I will because of all the cutting and sewing so I'll just admire yours for now. I love the red and green quilt pattern and how great is that red fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than new projects in my book! Oh, the BOM will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your projects! I love the colors of your log cabin -- glad you figured out the problem. Love the two projects for the future too. You pick good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh I just love your Log Cabin blocks, that brown/cream and pink center combo is scrumptious. Looks as though you've got plenty of projects to keep you busy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the log cabin block colors - I have been telling myself for several years now that I need to make a new log cabin quilt for the camper and never get to it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that red and green applique quilt too! Oh so tempting to join you. I love the log cabin blocks too - such a classic - I never get tired of seeing them or making the blocks :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about making some log cabin blocks from scraps! Yours is just lovely - can't wait to see the setting! The Crow Girls quilt will be fabulous!! I never tire of vintage red and green quilts!! Bravo for you!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the pink/brown log cabin blocks. Nice twist. I started a scrappy log cabin quilt once. I think the few blocks I made are in a box somewhere.
    Wow, that is a gorgeous and ambitious applique quilt. I will enjoy watching your progress.
    Hot Cross will look good in that color combo. I don't know how to make 2 color quilts. I'm always sneaking other colors in. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Cousin's Walk quilt! I have signed up for a few bom's in the past, but no more. It is not that I tire of them, I just don't like to make the same thing as (many) others anymore. It is great yours will be a bit different from the orginial, look forward to seeing what you will do with it. Love your logcabin blocks, logcabin quilts are always lovely, I should make one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your Log Cabin blocks! Wonderful colors! The Cousin's Walk is a beautiful quilt. I like the fabrics for your Hot Cross quilt! Lots of new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Log Cabin pattern is one of my favorites. It allows you to be creative, not only by the choice and the arrangement of colors, but mainly by the way you organize your blocks on the design board... so many possibilities, and so rewarding at the end! Your Log Cabin quilt is going to be beautiful of course, but also dramatic by your strong contrasts option. I am eager to see your final layout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your log cabin blocks are great. love the pink centers !
    your red and white will be a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Log cabin blocks are one of my all-time favorites and with pink and brown...you can't go wrong! Love the quilt by The Crows too - another one I've been admiring from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet each project feeds a different part of your creative brain

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make a log cabin (or variation) about every two years...favorite pattern to piece! Love the pink and brown colorway. I have an antique quilt that uses that with just a bit of black and blue as well. The center squares are HST...keep meaning to photograph it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Cousin's Walk also and was wondering if I could just get the pattern.....and you've answered my question. Who are you doing the BOM with? Will you use their fabrics or pick your own? And I love your log cabin blocks....I've never made one and have always wanted to....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the colors of your Log Cabin quilt!
    What a beautiful Red & Green quilt that will be.
    Also love your red & white fabrics for that Schnibbles project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too would love to start a new project over finishing a UFO. I've been tiring to be good, it's not so easy. Love the log cabin fabrics. And Wow the BOM is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will love to watch your progress on the bird quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. log cabins are one of my favourite's! especially in the more neutral brown colourways. I'm in the middle of working on a Christmas themed one, I look forward to keeping up with your progress from your newest blog follower :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love Minick and Simpson's midwinter reds ... I need to order some more just for stash as they are getting more difficult to find. Gorgeous log cabin blocks ... like the unusual pop of color with the pink, rather than red, centers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! You're joining us with Cousins Walk! It's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your log cabin with the pink centers - really love it! I can hear brown and pink finally calling my name again. It used to be my favorite combo but red and green wooed me away for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your log cabin with the pink centers - really love it! Brown and pink used to be my favorite combo and, after seeing your new project, I can hear it calling to me again. Red and green had wooed me away for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love your pink centered log cabins~!!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  28. Log Cabins are one of my favorites as are red and green quilts. Cousins Walk what a great quilt this is going to be.

    ReplyDelete